Thursday, September 7, 2023

Sept. Pieced to Perfection Challenge/Blog Hop

 

                                                            

                                                            61" x 49"

September is the Pieced to Perfection Island Batik Ambassador Challenge.  We each received a bundle of half yard cuts of a new collection to use in a project using either paper piecing or English paper piecing.  It is ALWAYS amazing to work with a brand new collection!

The collection I received to work with is called Chromatic.  It is an Island Batik collection by the designer Studio 180 Design.  These fabrics ship to stores in September, so you can start looking for them now.

I also received a dark fabric from the collection in yardage and a light fabric in yardage from Foundations called Rice.




There are 22 fabrics in the collection and I used 19 of them.  Instead of the white color in the collection, I used the light bluish/gray fabric they sent in yardage - Rice from the Foundations as I needed more of the lighter color.  The two other fabrics I didn't use I'll be giving away in a drawing at the end of this post.

I decided on this block pattern because of the good contrast in light and dark fabrics in the collection.

I like to do paper piecing, so this is the way I decided to go.  I usually work very small in my paper piecing, but I wanted to showcase the fabrics so I decided to work with a larger block size.  My main block is 6" finished with only four sections.  For the middle border I took the same block and made it half size - 3" finished.  This is more like the size I like to work with.  I really like how these blocks worked in the border.  This is a simple block to paper piece.

Here are a couple works in progress photos.



One thing I like about this block design is that it gives an optical illusion.  You can easily see diagonal rows, but can you also see the squares that have indented sides?

I was able to piece the backing from the dark fabric they sent with the collection bundle.  It is actually one of the collection fabrics, so it looks really nice on the back.

I quilted with orange and dark blue Aurifil threadHobbs Cotton batting gives it a nice drape.  I used Schmetz needles like always. I especially like the Microtex needles for sewing with batiks.

I had to make at least one block with smaller pieces like I normally do.  This block is 6 1/2".

I love how the black fabric makes the colors pop.  This may be a pattern you'll see more of in the future....

Here are a couple photos I took at Camp Alexander Mack in Milford IN.



DRAWING

I'm having a drawing for 2 half yard fabrics from the Chromatic Collection.  Leave a comment on what you would name my quilt.  I haven't decided on a name yet.  I will draw a winner at the end of the blog.
Make sure that I can contact you if you are the winner.  Entries only from the USA due to postage costs.


ISLAND BATIK DRAWING

Island Batik is having a fantastic drawing for two collection bundles.  These are fantastic- don't miss it!
Be sure to enter by going to their blog and entering the drawing there.


Many thanks to Island Batik Hobbs Batting, Schmetz Needles and Aurifil Thread for providing product for this project.



24 comments:

  1. Love the pattern. For a name - 3D Hugs and Kisses 24Tangent@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt! It has a certain tropical flair to me with that Caribbean blue, hibiscus red, and leafy light green. I would name it "Margaritaville" in remembrance of Jimmy Buffet who recently passed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful quilt. Love your photographs of it! I would name it Color Play for the beautiful way you arranged the colorful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! How about Kodachrome?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not good at naming quilts, but the first thing that came to mind was, "Criss Cross." 14 the money at duck dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heavenly-flashlw73@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Color Magic is my suggestion for a name for your beautiful quilt!
    nikilsend(at)outlook(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chromatic Lattice...SOOOO dazzling! lutzcats(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh but this is so pretty. Window Prisms comes to mind. Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would guess Colorful Angles as a name for your quilt. petuniakr@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous quilt with this fun color way. I, too, love the illusion and maybe would call it Prismatic Illusions. Love the little block too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Mirage would be a good name for your lovely quilt! That little block is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would name it "Garden Terrace" because that is what it looks like to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prismatic Gems what a colorful gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prism Trail - cindy.keence@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilt and photos. I also really like the little pineapple block. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not very good with names, but your quilt reminds me of a maze - "aMazed". Love the little pineapple block too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful! I'd name it "As Time Goes By" because it has some blocks that suggest an hourglass and because it it uses some classic piecing but has a modern look. I just love it! Your pineapple block is awesome too. pk_sews at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always do such beautiful patterns. I would name this Waves.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always tend to think of songs or books for my quilts, so for this one what comes to mind is, "Come Together",because of the way the lines all converge. etalmage@earthlink.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. Color Crossroads or Color Crossings... colors going every where -- Cris-Crossing.

    ReplyDelete