Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Nine Patch Lone Star Quilt and drawing

 


                                                Nine Patch Lone Star   75" x 75"

Today is my day to post on the Island Batik Lone Star Blog Hop.  

Thanks to Island Batik for providing products to make this project thru the Island Batik Ambassador Program.

In the last Ambassador box I received a surprise bundle of fabric cuts.  This was a Island Batik Summer 2022 fabric line that wasn't released yet, and I couldn't show it until now.  The fabrics I received were from the Modern Opulence collection by Kathy Engle for Deb Tucker's Studio 180 Design. There was also yardage in a light and dark fabric from the collection.





The colors are rich browns and rust colors.  I used 18 of the 22 fabrics in the collection. and I decided to use the Island Batik Doughnut fabric for the background in the quilt.

Instead of making one large Lone Star, I decided to use two lone star blocks and make a variation of each of those two designs.  I ended up making nine blocks- each one with a different combination of fabrics.

In making my lone star blocks, I cut the fabrics into 2 1/2" strips and cut the smaller diamonds using the mini 45 degree diamond ruler from EZ quilting.



The four darkest colors where cut into larger diamonds for four of the stars.

I assembled the diamonds into sections so that there were no Y seams.  This made them much easier to sew.


I made four stars with the large dark diamonds and the rest all with smaller diamonds.  Each star has a different combination of fabrics.


Close ups of three blocks




I used Schmetz microtex needles, Hobbs batting and Aurifil thread for quilting - the colors matched perfectly!


I quilted using some of the Westalee quilting rulers.


The backing is a mix of leftover diamonds and fabrics

I took the finished quilt to Camp Alexander Mack in Milford IN to get some photos at the Chapel which looks out over the lake and on the porch of the John Kline Center




Many thanks to Island Batik, Schmetz Needles, Hobbs Batting, Aurifil Thread and Prairie Spirit Alpacas  for donating supplies for this  project through the Island Batik Ambassador program.

Before I made the Nine Patch Lone Star quilt above, I made a mini Lone Star quilt that is 9" x 9" using the Contempo Island Batik fabrics that I used in the Row by Row Challenge.  This mini went together very easily using the paper piecing pattern from Little Lone Star Quilts by Lorraine Olsen.


I added a narrow flange and piping.  The quilt is 9" x 9".


Be sure and check out Sandra and Pamela's blog posts today to see what they created with the Modern Opulence Collection

Pamela Boatright, Pamela Quilts

Sandra Starley, Textile Time Travels

My drawing for this blog hop is two stash builder rolls.  Leave me a comment  to enter.  Only USA entries due to postage costs.  The blog hop ends Dec 22, so be sure and enter now!  If you don't see a place to comment below- you may need to open the post in your browser and scroll to the comment section.


Only two days left in the Lone Star Blog Hop- be sure and check out each Ambassador post and enter the Island Batik drawing for 1 of the 2 fat quarter collections - either Modern Opulence or Naturescape.






20 comments:

  1. Your Lone Star quilt is lovely! You can snuggle under it this weekend when we get the frigid weather! Happy stitching & Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful! I have never made a Lone Star quilt because they were very intimidating, but I think I could make some of the stars like you made. I really love Star blocks. Thank you for the chance at your giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the different stars on your quilt, makes it so much more interesting. 24Tangent@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing all of your color combinations for your lone stars! Very pretty!! Then as a contrast, I loved your mini lone star in the bright colors!! Loved it!! I might have to try a mini! Thanks for the great blog post and quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Connie! I love the photo setting as well. And I really love that mini! I try not to paper piece if I can help it, but I do admire the precision of the method!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt. I like all the variety of your stars..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilt and the fabulous fabric. Nancy A: SewingGranda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the nine patch. It has awoodsy feel to it. And I love that blue background of the mini. It enhances the design so well. Gorgeous quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous. I love the nine patch combo with the lone star. I love the no y seams too. It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these fabrics are so pretty. and your quilt brings them out into the lime light so they can shine. thanks for sharing and inspiring. oh but I love your little trial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job. The smaller stars make the lone star seem less of a challenge. Thanks for sharing your mini lone star.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your lone star quilt. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Making a Lone Star quilt is on my bucket list. Also absolutely love your location for taking a picture. Camp Alexander Mack is a favorite place for many reasons. Stay warm this weekend Celebrating our Lord and Saviors birth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how you made the 9 smaller stars - with variations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of many small stars. It makes your quilt so interesting and gives the viewer so much to look at--I would be endlessly comparing the stars, the colors, the color placement, trying to choose which was my favorite and then thinking about why... etalmage at earthlink dot net

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love both quilts. The colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your version of the Lone Star quilt! I am a person who struggles with envisioning variations of patterns, so it's been fun to see how everyone took their own spin throughout this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt is beautiful! Love the colors!
    nikilsend(at)outlook(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like how you made the smaller stars, so much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilts are gorgeous! The first one is fascinating to look at - the same pattern but different effects, each with their own beauty. And I love the colors and multiple borders in the second one. Thank you for sharing this! pk_sews at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete