Thursday, July 21, 2022

Christmas in July




Honey Hunt
30 3/4" x 30 3/4"

Accuquilt Go!  is the sponsor for the July Island Batik Ambassador Challenge.  The theme of the challenge is "Christmas in July".  There were several requirements to this challenge.  The first was to use the new Tree of Life Accuquilt Go!  Block on Board die that was sent to each Ambassador.  This is a 14" die where you can cut all the pieces for the block in one pass thru the fabric cutter.  We could be creative and use this die anyway we wanted.

Another requirement was to make a project and gift it to someone to bring a little Christmas in July joy.

With these requirements in mind, I looked at the fabrics I received in the July box to see what I might use.  I immediately picked up the Beehive Buzz fabrics and knew who I would be giving the quilt to.  You'll understand my selection when you see who I give the quilt to.

Beehive Buzz is designed by Kathy Engle.  This is a Spring collection that will be in your shops in September.  Precuts are available now.

Here are some of my favorite fabrics from the collection.  Don't you just love those little bees, flowers, bee hives and honeycombs!  I did add some white and Slate Foundation fabric that were included in the July box for the project.


The Tree of Life block on board die is large and heavy!  I designed a variation of their tree and used parts of the die for different colors.  It did make the cutting quick and easy.


Those half square triangle sew together easily.  I used a variety of colored fabrics from the collection in both the trees and the border.  The new pressing mat from Prairie Spirit Alpacas made pressing a breeze.


 I used yellow Aurifil for all the quilting and white for the piecing, Hobbs Natural Cotton Batting and Schemetz Microtex needles.  


I just had to add some quilted bees in the yellow centers.  


I named the quilt Honey Hunt as it seems like all those little bees are searching through the trees hunting for honey.



The person I gave the Christmas in July gift to was my Pastor Frank Ramirez.  Pastor Frank is also a bee keeper and has two hives that he attends.  I knew this quilt Honey Hunt with the Beehive Buzz fabric was meant for him!


Thanks to Island Batik, Accuquilt Go!, Hobbs Batting, Prairie Spirit Alpacas, Aurifil Thread, and Scmetz Needles for providing the materials for this project thru the Island Batik Ambassador Program.
#AccuQuiltChristmasinJuly


6 comments:

  1. Your tree quilt is lovely, I'm sure Pastor Ramirez appreciates it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt and your choice of recipient. (Frank is my brother, a man of many talents!) I use Accuquilt a lot as I can no longer use the rotary cutter as much as I'd like. I get a lot of ideas from seeing what all of you Ambassadors come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, I truly love this quilt, and the name is perfect! I’m sure that Pastor Frank was surprised and grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great gift, Connie. I really love that fabric collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute quilt, Connie! Your pastor looks quite happy with it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Nice gift for your pastor

    ReplyDelete