Monday, June 14, 2021

June Island Batik Challenge

 

The June Island Batik Challenge is called Spread Love & Joy with Accuquilt.  Each Ambassador was sent an Accuquilt Go! Die and we were to use that die along with another block to create a project.  

I received the 8" Snail's Trail block die and a cutting mat to use with it.  I like the Snail's Trail block.  It can be used in many ways.  Using another block along with the Snail's Trail was an interesting challenge.  Many other companion blocks can be made using the Accuquilt Go Cube 8" Mix and Match block set of dies

I looked over the fabrics I received in my first Island Batik box and decided to work with the Farm Fresh Collection by Kathy Engle and the coordinating fabrics they sent with it.  This collection is a mix of oranges, yellows, purples, greens and pumpkin prints.

I decided on a companion block using the Go! Cub 8" block set and had a great time making my project.  The greatest thing about the Snail's Trail block die is that the 10" squares of fabric fit right on the die.  That makes for fast cutting.

Unfortunately I have good news and bad news. The bad news first - I can't show you my project!  The good news is that the quilt will be published in the Jan/Feb 2022 issue of Quiltmaker magazine!  I hope you look for it when the magazine comes out.  I really liked the quilt and was glad they decided to publish it.

I still wanted to make something to show you for this blog post, so I made a table mat using the Snail's Trail block and the Pinwheel Block.  The Pinwheel block is in the center.  I like how the two blocks  meet and blend together.


I used what was left of the Farm Fresh fabrics.    I used Hobbs Natural Cotton batting, Schmetz Microtex Needles and Aurifil Thread in making both projects.








This was an interesting challenge - to combine two different blocks using the Go! dies.  You might want to give this a try and create something new and different.





7 comments:

  1. Congratulations of being published in January but since the magazines are normally released 2 months early, perhaps you'll be able to show us in November. The table mat is really cute, good combination of the 2 blocks. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it with the pinwheel in that layout! Love these colors, and can't wait to see your other quilt. Congrats on the pattern publication!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this design Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fabulous design with great use of the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Farm Fresh a beautiful collection! I love both of your finishes, I don't think anyone could have been more creative with these dies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little window of gold just makes this pop! What a fabulous design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look forward to seeing your project, but I really like the little one you made too!

    ReplyDelete