Monday, August 15, 2022

Marvelous Mini Island Batik August Challenge

                                                                      Radiant by Connie Kauffman

The August challenge for the Island Batik Ambassadors was to make a mini quilt.  This has to be my favorite challenge!  I'm all about minis!  I had SO many ideas!  I finally settled on making a 12" x 12" mini.  My book Little Gems is all about 12" x 12" quilts.  I just love them.  And they stack up so nicely when I put them away and they are easy to find and rotate...  Aren't they sweet stacked on a shelf?

I still have room for more!

Well, this little challenge mini ended up being 12 1/4" x 12 1/4".  It hangs nicely on the 12" x 12" Ackfeld Manufacturing wire stand.

Radiant has three different paper pieced block patterns.  The inner sashings are 1/4".  The outer yellow triangles are prairie  points that are secured with a blue bead.

I used 4 blues and 2 yellow Island Batik fabrics from the Scrap Builder rolls.  I added white and yellow Cheerio from the Foundation Collections.


I used  three colors of Aurifil 50 wt. thread - white, black and yellow 7135.  The 50 weight is nice and thin for making smaller projects like this.


Schmetz microtex needles are especially great for mini quilts as the needle is very thin and doesn't leave large holes in the fabric.  Hobbs Thermore batting is great for mini quilts, but I have many scrap pieces of batting and I ended up using a piece of  Hobbs Heirloom Premium Cotton Batting.

The pressing mat from Prairie Spirit Alpacas is a great surface for pressing small blocks and projects.







Many thanks to Island Batik, Hobbs Batting, Schmetz needles  ,Prairie Spirit Alpacas and Aurifil thread for supplying products for this project thru the Island Batik Ambassador program.


To see more of the mini quilts in the August Island Batik Challenge, check out the list of Ambassadors below




5 comments:

  1. I LOVE your little mini, it's so beautiful! Nothing beats blues/white and yellow. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mini! So delightful 😊 - excited to try my hand at another mini. I did one out of your book (or more) but I think it's mini time again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this mini and the colors you have used! Another to add to my to-do list!
    Beautiful, Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Connie! This is really beautiful. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous. I love blues and yellow together!!

    ReplyDelete