Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Adventurous Applique Island Batik Blog Hop

 


Dancing Daisies by Connie Kauffman  44" x 54"

September is time for another Island Batik Ambassador Challenge.  This month the theme is Adventurous Applique with Aurifil.


 In my July Island Batik box was a bundle of the collection called Daisy May.  I LOVE daisies and this collection is full of them.  

.


The Daisy May collection has bright oranges, yellows, teals and greens and some fabrics with a lighter background.  This collection is a Spring/Summer 2024 collection and is by Kathy Engel and should be arriving in shops now.  Be sure and look for them!

The sponsor for this challenge is Aurifil Thread.  They sent us a lovely selection of threads to match our fabric collection that we could use in our project.  I ended up using some white Aurifil I had and the pretty yellow you see below.


Island Batik also sent yardage in a light and dark color to match the collection.  The light fabric is from their Foundations collections and is called Glaze and the green fabric is from the Daisy May collection called Mini Daisy Turquoise.  I used Glaze to make the daisy petals in my quilt.

Guidelines for this challenge were to make a lap quilt with applique.  The applique was supposed to be attached with some kind of different edge stitching.  They suggested doing the technique by 4th and 6th Designs that they used on their quilt Full Bloom.  Their technique is raw edge and glue basted with no fusible used.. If you want to see this technique, you can watch these two tutorials by 4th and 6th Designs.

YouTube Video demonstrating the edge-coloring technique. 

Shabby Fabrics YouTube video on the edge painting technique.


This technique glues the applique pieces down and does a sort of free hand, back and forth method of stitching over and over. I tried this technique and it wasn't for me!  I thought about doing a machine decorative stitch around my appliques, but I didn't want to be turning the quilt on all those petals.  I tried a few different edge techniques, and finally decided on just doing a freehand loopy/circle around the applique edges.  For the center of the daisies I did loopy/circles thru the whole piece.




While I was deciding what edge stitching to do, I selected 7 of the blue/green fabrics to make a center panel of simple 5"finished squares.  Then I picked out 7 of the yellow/orange fabrics to make a border of 5" finished squares.  That was easy and I decided to go ahead and layer and baste and do basic straight line quilting before adding the applique.  The Daisy May collection has 20 fabrics and I used 14 of them in this quilt.

Most of the time persons finish the applique before basting and quilting the quilt top, but I thought it might be easier to do it this way.  I wanted to try the technique of gluing the raw edges of the applique.  I've done some collage quilting with fusibles and I wondered if this would be easier than ironing all that fusible webbing on to fabrics..

I laid out the daisy petals and the flower centers made from an older yellow Island Batik collection.  I used Roxanne's Glue-Baste-It and found it worked very well.  The glue held up to a lot of manipulation.  I liked how the bottle had a very small tip for applying the glue.


I always use Schmetz Needles and they sewed thru the glue very well. I didn't notice when I was sewing thru the  glue.  Hobbs Cotton Batting worked well with this technique also.





Thanks to Island Batik, Aurifil Thread, Schmetz needles and Hobbs Batting for providing products to use in this project thru the Island Batik Ambassador program.

Every week of the blog hop Island Batik has a tremendous giveaway.  This week it is for two collections called Bubbles, Curves and Corners and Twilight.  Each bundle has a half yard of each fabric in the collection.  Be sure and go to Island Batik to enter to win one of these great bundles!


I am having my own giveaway of two of the half yard cuts from the Daisy Mae collection.  These two fabrics have a light cream background.  One has cute little daisy prints and the other one has dots and dashes in a variety of colors.  Leave a comment telling me your favorite flower to enter the drawing.  USA entries only due to postage costs.  Make sure that I can contact you if you are a winner.


Be sure and visit the other Island Batik Ambassadors (see my last post for all the Ambassadors) and see all the new collections and special quilts.  Also be sure and enter the Island Batik special drawing each week!


 

29 comments:

  1. Your quilt is so cute! I'd keep this one out in the winter when we need some color in the gray days of winter. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy and pretty quilt. My favorite flower changes through the seasons as they come into bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finish! I was concerned that the white petals may show the dark background but clearly that is not the case. My favorite flower is Chrysanthemum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!!!! I love it, and I love that you used the Daisy May fabrics as background for your daisies. I also really like that your applique is large scale.
    My favorite flowers are the daisy and the dogwood. (This is Emily, since I can't always log in. No need to enter me into the prize drawing.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful quilt! My favorite flower is a rose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt Connie and what neat batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in love with your quilt. So cheerful and truly just shows off all the gorgeous fabrics, blended so well. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one sweet quilt! My favorite flower is the daffodil.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very pretty quilt and lovely fabric collection! My favorite flower is peony!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cheery quilt! My favorite flower is Dahlias (right now in bloom !)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite flowers are daisies. I had a daisies for my bridal bouquet. Second choice are purple coneflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite flowers are daisies. I had them in my bridal bouquet. A second choice would be purple cone flowers. My favorite flowers to plant in my garden are zinnias. They come in so many varieties and colors and easy to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite flower is rose. Your quilt and daisies are "sew" cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite Summer flower is Sunflowers. Your quilt is adorable. Jmikebalou (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved reading about your applique process and what worked/didn't. When I lived up north my favorite flower was the iris. They don't grow as far south as I am so I am learning to embrace the bird of paradise. Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love zinnias. They are so bright and colorful. Love your daisy quilt. Dortha at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your quilt! My favorite flower is a tulip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt is so pretty and what a great picture in the garden!! I love wild roses--they have a fragrence like no other!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Connie !
    Absolutely love your quilt !
    My favorite flower is hibiscus !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilt is beautiful. The background sets off the daisy perfectly. I don't know much about applique, so not sure what this technique is really for. I love snapdragons.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your quilt. My favorite flower right now is a cornflower. Love its color!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You hit my favorite with the daisies. They have been my favorite my whole life. My wedding was all daisies- my dress, my veil, the dresses my mother sewed for my bridesmaids, my bouquet, my cake, and my china! Your quilt is beautiful with the warm colors of the border setting off the cool center with the daisies nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely quilt. My favorite flower is Morning Glories.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So hard to choose a favorite flower! I would have to say daisies are at the top of my list. They are just so cheerful and happy looking. Dancing daisies is such a great name for your quilt, because I always think they look like they are dancing in the wind in the garden.😊Thank you for your giveaway! warner.dale@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your happy quilt makes me smile! My favorite flower is Bird of Paradise. Thanks for sharing your work and your fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love those big daisies bursting out over your quilt top! What a fun, happy quilt. I like the loopy edge stitching you did on the petals, too. So creative and fun. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete