Friday, December 17, 2021

New Christmas Tree Skirt

 


In going through some old quilting things I came upon a small (I thought) pattern that I'd never made.  In fact I don't even remember where I got the pattern.  Maybe someone gave it to me or I got it in a swap or something?  I thought it would be an interesting mini to make while I was all caught up with deadlines.
The pattern is called Scrap Happy Diamonds by Cindy Edgerton - and it is NOT a mini!


The pattern itself comes in a package 4" x 5 1/2"  which is why I mistakenly thought it was a small quilt.  If you do READ the package it says it makes a quilt 58" x 58".  Above is a photo of the package and a paper foundation for one block.  Those tissue paper patterns folded up really tight and small!

Okay, I was up for a challenge, but didn't want to make that big of a wall quilt or color it the way it was on the pattern.  I decided it would make a great tree skirt if you trimmed it down and eliminated some blocks.

I set off and pulled reds and greens (mostly Island Batik Christmas prints) and mixed whites- many of which had gold and/or Christmas prints.


It was interesting to work with such big blocks as I usually work much smaller.


Having pieced the whole thing together I decided to go ahead and quilt it before making it into a tree skirt.


I quilted it with a gold thread in the ditch.


Kind of a shame to cut the center out and a slit thru one side - especially when it laid nice and flat!

Here is a photo of  my old tree skirt and the new one.  I think I've improved my skills and also my scrap stash!


It is now in it's place under the tree and waiting for the family to gather for Christmas.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas holiday!






7 comments:

  1. SO BEAUTIFUL!!! Love the design! Love your choice of colors. That is really striking! A real family heirloom you can use year after year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you keep the center? I would have tried to do something with it - especially if it was flat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a brilliant, shining star! Both skirts are beautiful, but it's interesting to see how my eye is more attracted to the new one with so many different fabrics. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning star - paper pieced? So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's a beautiful tree skirt! And yes, looks like your stash has much improved ;)

    ReplyDelete