Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Butterfly treasures

Aren't these scrap batiks lovely!  As my first year of being an Island Batik Ambassador was ending- I was thinking of what I might do with some of the scraps of fabric from projects I worked on last year.  I wanted to make a sort of memory quilt using a piece of all the different fabric I'd used.  I thought a long time about what to make, whether to design my own block, etc.

I kept coming back to a sweet little butterfly mini applique block by Edyta Sitar.  I got her little plastic template and have been having a ball fusing and cutting out little butterflies!
The block is 5 1/4" x 5 1/4" unfinished.


The stencil arrived and was a typical quilting stencil with the centers still inside the shapes with  the small sections for marking.  I actually cut out the inside pieces so I could quickly trace the whole shape  in one motion onto the fusible web.  The mini block (she does have a larger butterfly pattern) doesn't take much fabric at all.  My challenge is just what fabrics to put together to make the prettiest butterfly!

Butterflies have me thinking of spring- as well as this flock of robins outside my window today.



2 comments: