Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Guest Blogger

Today I am a guest blogger with Tammy Silvers- a fellow Island Batik Ambassador.  You can go to her blog and see my post at:  www.tamarinis.com 
In  return, Tammy is posting on my blog today.

What’s in a Name? Juxtaposition Explored
I'm thrilled that the talented Connie Kauffman is guest posting on my blog today - and that she's letting me post on her blog today too!
I'm Tammy Silvers, quilt designer, new fabric designer, and confessed batik fanatic and fabric-a-holic.  I design under the name Tamarinis, as well as designing projects for Northcott to highlight new fabric lines, and occasionally am published in many of the quilt magazines, including American Patchwork and Quilting, Fons and Porter, and McCalls.  You can see my full pattern line at www.tamarinis.com.
I'm often asked about the names of quilt patterns, so I thought it would be fun today to take a look at one of my more recent quilts, Juxtaposition.
A little bit of background - I taught high school English for a number of years - sharing my life long love of all things written.  I don't teach any longer, but I do still have a passion for the written word, and that love creeps into my quilt designs and my quilt titles.  Juxtaposition is one such quilt.
So the dictionary defines juxtaposition as follows:
jux·ta·po·si·tion
ˌjəkstəpəˈziSH(ə)n/
noun
the fact of two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect.
"the juxtaposition of these two images"

Juxtoposition new
So here is my "two things being seen or placed close together with contrasting effect" - a light background batik and a dark background batik, each surrounding a different coordinating print.  Like Connie, I LOVE Island Batik, and this quilt is no exception.  It showcases a stamp set (a set of 10" squares) and two different Island Batik backgrounds - a juxtaposition of light and dark.  Proof that not only do opposites attract, but that they help each other shine.
Thanks to Connie for letting me offer up a little vocabulary lesson - and an example of why contrast (juxtaposition) works so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment